This is normally the spot where I’d say something like, “DAMN, the month just flew by!” But y’all, January was the longest freaking month for me, and I am DONE with it. On to better things! Hello Febru-bae-ry… okay, cringe.
ANYWAYS! As much as I am ready to move on from January, I did have a pretty great reading month. The number of books I read was pretty average – 6 books – but I gave so many of them five stars!
- The Wicker King by K. Ancrum – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ – I read this with the Dragons and Tea Book Club, and it was absolutely fantastic. It may have been that I was dealing with some mental health/general life issues at the same time, but this book hit me so hard. I adored everything about it, and being able to ask the author questions through the book club made it even more amazing!
- Son of a Trickster by Eden Robinson – ⭐️⭐️⭐️ – this was one of my work book club reads, and sadly, was not my favourite. That being said, it was definitely an “it’s me, not you” thing because I didn’t realize the book was part of a series until after I finished it. While that definitely changes things, I still wasn’t captivated enough to continue on with the series… at least right away.
- A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ – this book was absolutely magical! The writing is so lyrical and amazing, and the story will just sweep you off your feet. I loved this book with my whole heart and recommend it to everyone!
- Truthwitch by Susan Dennard – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ – I fell into this story completely, and loved being whisked away with Safi, Iseult, Merik and Aeduan. Mostly, Aeduan. If you love captivating stories with non-stop action, you should definitely check this series out!
- We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ – this was another work book club read – though this will be posted before we meet to discuss it, and my full review will be up shortly after we meet! This book is one of those books that slowly nestles into your heart, and obliterates it. This book also deals with mental health issues, and literally had me crying by the end. Normally, I’d say I’m not a crier, but I’m noticing that I tear up more and more as I get older – I don’t know if it’s maturity or old age!
- The Accident Season by Moira Fowley-Doyle – ⭐️⭐️✨ – I really wanted to love this book because it had such a great story. The only problem was that it took SO long to get to the point/”reveal”. That made me kind of sad because the reveal has such an impact. It deserved more time, in my opinion.
Alright! There you have it. Six books in January, four of which were five-star reads! Not bad, not bad at all.
For the month of February, I will be really busy with school, work, life and other stuff, but of course, that did not stop me from picking out a ridiculously large tbr:
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte (#catchuponclassics group read)
- Heartless by Marissa Meyer (buddy read with the awesomesauce Kibby aka @somethingofthebook)
- The Huntress by Kate Quinn (arc review)
- Windwitch by Susan Dennard (currently reading)
- Sightwitch by Susan Dennard
- Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones (YARC)
- The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo
- A Blade So Black by L.L. McKinney (currently reading)
- The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo (currently reading)
Sightwitch and The Language of Thorns are novellas and I am nearly done Windwitch, so hopefully, this won’t actually be too bad. The Huntress will be one of my first reads as it is an arc, and thankfully, one that I am excited for!
YARC – sooooo, I’ve only read one book that counts for YARC, but it was a really good one so that makes it okay, right? A Crown of Wishes was the only book by an Asian author that I finished in January, but I will most likely read at least two, if not three more in February. Basically, I’m planning on binge-reading every book I have by an Asian author as soon as this school semester is done in April!
Serious about Series – I managed to check off one book for this challenge, which just so happens to be the same book that counted for YARC, A Crown of Wishes. I suppose I also added a series to the list with Truthwitch though, so there goes that! Hopefully, I will finish up that series (what has been released of it at least) in February as well.
Thanks for checking out my wrap-up, upcoming tbr, and challenge updates!