Happy Friday everyone! Friday Favourites was originally created by Kibby from Something of the Book, but is now hosted by Lorraine from Geeky Galaxy. Make sure you check out both of their blogs, and join in with your own Friday Favourites!
This week’s topic is Teacher/Mentor Characters. These are the characters that fill your heart, that are there for you when you need them, and that guide you when you are lost. There are so many amazing characters that have shared their wisdom over the years, but here are a few of my favourites:
- Nisreen from The City of Brass series by S.A. Chakraborty – Nisreen becomes a mentor of sorts to Nahri, and UGH I JUST LOVE HER! She is a no-nonsense type of person, but at the same time gives Nahri room to grow and become the woman she wants to be. She lets Nahri make mistakes because that is how people learn, but she is there for her when she needs comforting and support.
- Molly Weasley from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling – I realize that Molly Weasley is not the “typical” mentor type, but her behaviours, namely taking in Harry and Hermione whenever they needed it and fiercely defending her family, are ones that people, myself included, look up to.
- Nehemia from the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas – you can fight me if you want, but we all know that Aelin would not have been able to do everything she did without Nehemia’s belief in her.
- Enzo from The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein – yes, a dog. Hear me out. Enzo’s life motto is essentially to live his life to the fullest and be there for his friends and family. That sounds like a great mentor to me.
- Mama Agba from Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi – Mama Agba was Zélie’s biggest supporter. She taught her so much, but also let her find her own way. She is the reason Zélie was able to find the strength needed to fight for what is right – and OOO did Zélie need that strength!
There you have it! Five teacher/mentor characters who share their wisdom not only with other characters in their respective books, but also with us!