Happy Friday everyone! Friday Favourites (I’m Canadian so I’m adding the ‘u’!) was created by the ever-so-wonderful Kibby from Something of the Book. She loves lists, so decided to start her own weekly topics! Make sure you check out her blog for more information, and join in!
Today is the very first topic, and it is First Book in a Series, so here are some first books that convinced me to continue with the series because they were just that amazing:
- The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty – surprised? No? I guess I’ve kind of been raving about this book for a while now… but I have no plans to stop because book two, The Kingdom of Copper, comes out at the end of this month (stay tuned for a review mid-month)!
- Vicious by V.E. Schwab – Victor and Eli are brilliant characters who do absolutely terrible things, and I love them. Yup. I know. Sounds crazy. But these morally grey characters are fantastic, and I highly recommend this book!
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas – this book was a wild ride! I adored the strong female lead, and the addition of more strong female characters throughout the series, as well as the story in general. Plus, you know, Rowan, aka my
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff – this book is AMAZING! If you like sci-fi, are considering sci-fi, or are just looking for a fantastic book/series with a great story and brilliant twists, you absolutely must check out The Illuminae Files.
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo – my oh my oh my! This duology is one of my ALL-TIME favourites…ever! This book will have you on edge the entire time. Crooked Kingdom, book two, is just as amazing, even if it did break my poor heart!
- The Passage by Justin Cronin – this is an adult fantasy/sci-fi trilogy, and all three books were five star reads for me! That has NEVER happened before! Book one sets the stage for an intensely captivating story that will have you completely hooked until the last page of the last book. As an adult series, the story is quite complex, but it is worth the time.
- Wool by Hugh Howey – this is the first book in the Silo series, and I went out and bought books two and three before I even finished book one because it was SO good. Wool has a unique twist on a dystopian story that I thoroughly enjoyed.
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J.K. Rowling – it might be because I’m watching Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban while I type this, or it might be because this book is the start of an incredible series, but either way, I highly recommend it!
- Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi – I was unbelievably sad when I finished this book because I knew I would have to wait ages until book two! It has a well-built story, characters you grow to love, and a great magic system. I can’t wait for book two, and would probably commit a small felony for an arc…
- The Cruel Prince by Holly Black – when I first finished this book, I didn’t quite know how I felt about it. However, after thinking on it for some time, I decided I rather enjoyed it, but more importantly, it had me really excited for book two. It did an amazing job of setting up the story for book two to be completely epic!
Well, there you are! I defaulted to ten items on my list, but the great thing about Friday Favourites is that you can choose any number! Don’t forget to check out Kibby’s blog for more information! I hope you enjoyed my list of Favourite First Books!