Here we are, half way through 2018! I had a pretty decent reading month, and finished seven books in July:
- Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- Micromium: Clean Energy from Mars by David Gittlin – ⭐️⭐️✨
- A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
- To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️✨
- Domani by Carolyn Gross – ⭐️⭐️⭐️
- Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple – ⭐️⭐️
- Lifel1k3 by Jay Kristoff – ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Favourites: Four of the seven books were fantastic reads. One of the best ones was definitely A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. Now before you run and grab this book (which you should do right after you read this post), you should know this is a slow read. Not in that the pacing is slow, but rather that the story needs to be appreciated. I read a handful of chapters here and there so that I could savour the story. The writing is delectable, the plot is humourous and ravishing, and the characters are simply divine!
Other honourable mentions: Sky in the Deep was a well-paced, delightful read! I didn’t love the love story in it, but I did really enjoy the brother-sister relationship, as well as the characters and story in general. To Kill a Kingdom was very entertaining and I really enjoyed this twisted version of the classic Little Mermaid story. Lifel1k3 was saved for me purely by the last 100 pages. The first 300 were not necessarily bad, I just wasn’t loving the characters or story. AND THEN THE END HAPPENS! Also, Cricket is pure gold. I didn’t do a full review on it, but Amanda at Amanda’s Afterword has a pretty great one on her blog which you should definitely check out!
Rep Life: For the past few months, I have been a rep for the wonderful Kayla at Bookside Paper Co. who makes STUNNING bookmarks! It has been so much fun repping for her, and just because my term has ended doesn’t mean I am going to stop ordering her bookmarks because they are simply too beautiful to resist. You can check out her bookstagram to find her new reps for a discount code!
Halfway through the year, and I’m starting to realize I’m pretty rubbish at keeping to my tbr for the month. It’s not going to stop me from still making one though! So, without further ado, my “tbr” for July:
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J. K. Rowling – (reread)
- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls – (book club read)
- Azalei’s Riders by Miranda Marie – (reread and book club read)
- The Last of the Firedrakes by Farah Oomerbhoy – (currently reading)
- The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton – (currently reading)
- Invictus by Ryan Graudin – (currently reading)
- From Twinkle, With Love by Sandhya Menon
- The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty
- Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
New Rep Life: Starting July 1, I will be a rep for the lovely Raquel at My Wick of Tea! I am so excited to be repping for her because her candles look absolutely amazing and just look at these labels! Keep an eye out on my bookstagram for my rep code!
TBR Demolition Project: Alright, if you read my May Wrap-Up Post, then you know I am on a mission to shrink down my tbr pile! In order to keep better track, I decided to make a Goodreads shelf dedicated to the books I own but have not read. As of right now, I have 86 unread books! (Note: this does not include the four books I am currently reading).
It’s a lot, but this is down from the 92 unread books I had last month! Some I read, but others I decided to… unhaul! Yes, I know. What kind of bookworm unhauls books? Here’s the thing, if I don’t like the book or if it has been on my shelf for years and I haven’t picked it up, why should I keep it? I need to make room for books that I love and will read!
Plus, I take them to a second hand bookstore where I get a credit and can buy more books!